If you’re seeking an orthodontist for yourself or your child, then don’t make a commitment too quickly. There are a ton of orthodontists near Wayland to choose from. With so many choices, how do you decide which orthodontist office to pick? Some prefer to use a specific treatment plan as opposed to a different one, and some may charge more than others. Getting braces means making a big commitment to one orthodontist for multiple years, so don’t be afraid to search around for the one that meets your criteria. Here is a quick guide on how to choose the right orthodontist.
The first step is to ask around. Someone who would be able to point you in the right direction is your family dentist. Usually they are pretty knowledgeable in regard to the other dentists or orthodontists in your area. If you think that you still want to expand your options, you can always ask friends or family if they know about a good practice that they might’ve used for their treatment. Once you’ve considered your options and have narrowed it down to a few practices, you should call to ask a few questions. Their answers will be helpful in determining if their practice is right for you.
There are several questions that you should ask your candidates:
- How many orthodontists work in your office?
- What are the possibilities of orthodontic treatment?
- What treatment options do you offer?
- How often will visits take place?
- How long will treatment last?
- What are your office hours? (Many orthodontists have limited hours, meaning that working parents may have to take time off, or kids will have to be taken out of school.)
- How long have you been in practice?
- What is the cost of treatment, and how do you determine the cost?
- What insurance plans do you accept?
- Do you offer a free consultation?
- Can you provide references from current or past patients?
- Is the orthodontist using the most recent technology in their office?
Secondly, in addition to interviewing the orthodontist, make sure that you pay attention to the office around you. Are the office staff and hygienists friendly? Is the office staff nice? Are they flexible to work with? You should also find out about the orthodontist and office’s accessibility for advice or emergencies.
Learn about the different types of braces and treatment options available. Metal braces are the traditional and most common option. They are most popular with kids under 12. Ceramic braces are clear or tooth-colored and are usually self-ligating. They work the same as metal braces, but have much less visibility, making them more popular with adults. However, they cost slightly more than . Clear aligner systems like Invisalign are made of smooth plastic, are virtually invisible, and can be taken out to eat, brush, and floss. One big advantage to aligners is that they are now practically the same cost as . However, they are only used in treatment for teens and adults.
We hope this guide has helped you understand orthodontics a bit more. Whether you are an adult looking to straighten your teeth, or a parent searching for an orthodontist for your children, Dr. Himelhoch would love to help! Smiles in Framingham has been providing quality orthodontic treatment to children and adults from Wayland and surrounding towns. Schedule your free consultation, call 508-872-0555 today.Tags: braces, orthodontist, wayland orthodontist